One of the easiest way and most popular garden crop / vegetable that you can easily grow in your garden are the carrots. It is not only easy to grow but its high in nutrition with its sweet and crunchy taste.
With over a 100 different varieties of carrots you can choose what to grow varying from its size to its colors. I know that you are not aware that orange is not only carrots color. There are yellow, purple and white carrots.
Carrots is the second most popular root crop next to potatoes.
For some of the health benefits that carrots bring here are some that you can find in this wonder vegetable and you might probably think twice that, its not only rabbits favorite but might be your children’s too:
- Improves vision – Rich in beta-carotene that is essential to our vision. Our liver converts beat-carotene into vitamin A that helps the retina to be healthy. Beta-carotene also helps in preventing cataracts.
- Prevent Cancer – Eating carrots help to lower the risk of cancer (breast , lung and colon cancers). Carrots have falcarinol that is largely responsible for anti-cancer benefits.
- Prevent heart disease -Carrots have carotenoids that are associated with lowering the risk of having heart diseases. Regular consumption of carrots reduces LDL cholesterol levels.
- Prevents stroke - People who ate more than six carrots a week are less likely to suffer a stroke than those who ate only one carrot a month or less.
- Slows down aging - Beta-carotene acts as an antioxidant to cell damage that helps to slow down the aging. The antioxidant that helps the body to fight against free radicals.
- Helps prevent infection – For herbalists, the shredded raw, boiled or mashed carrots helps fight infection in any wounds.
- Protects teeth and gums - Carrots clean your teeth and mouth by scraping off plaque and food particles just like toothbrushes or toothpaste. Carrots stimulate gums and trigger a lot of saliva, which being alkaline, balances out the acid-forming, cavity-forming bacteria. The minerals in carrots prevent tooth damage.
- Promotes healthier skin - Vitamin A and antioxidants protects the skin from sun damage. Vitamin A prevents premature wrinkling, acne, dry skin, pigmentation, blemishes, and uneven skin tone.